Wednesday 15 March 2017

In the search of answers to my Curiosity . . .

Landfill visits in Bhopal

Landfill Pilgrimage by a man from Youth Alliance - Delhi , Chennai, Bangalore and now Mumbai. Each time it happened, it arose the curiosity within me about what it really is or could it impact others so much.

To search for the answers of awakening curiosity I thought of trying myself and go on a similar trip though not being sure if I could really do it or would be able to step into it.
I asked my friend if we could go to landfills Bhopal this Sunday and his obvious response was why we need to go there , upon which I replied to search for same answer.
Google showed me that the landfills in Bhopal has been relocated from Bhanpur to Adampur Chaawani in 2014 and 3 years I thought are enough for relocation as all the newspapers told same. This morning we drove 23 KMS to Adampur Chaawani in search of landfills, asking people about the same but on reaching there we were told it is still at the same location which was 20 KMS in the opposite direction. My friend was irritated but I didn't want to go back reaching so close .

The drive in the opposite direction and we could make out by smell through a distance that we are close to the landfills. The first sight made me think about the place being called as a Landfill or dumpsite as there was no structure for trash to be seen only a vast vacant land with huge heaps of mountains of dump.


I was almost ready to trek those mountains and reach the top, but soon a man came and stopped us and said that we can't go inside without the permission from Nagar Nigam (which was suppose to shut because of Sunday). He didn't even agree for 5 minutes even after requesting for 20 minutes, may be because of the ongoing issues for relocation and he supposedly assumed us as reporters.
After all the pleading attempts in vain I just stood there for next some minutes and observe. I was shocked when the man told that it is more than 20 years old trash and how could the local bodies even think of relocating this to a new place when it is not being looked since 20 years and piles of mountains are being created.

I could only see the plastics all over the vast area and returned with numerous questions and thoughts in mind.

"Can we really do something when our smallest utility to biggest necessity is into that trash?"

'"Are we as a user really responsible for this environment that we have created or as a producer?"

With these questions in my mind i came back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment